The time has officially come to celebrate flowers in full bloom for the Elves of Tolkien, in a lovely festival called Nost-na-Lothion that is talked about only in his book of Lost Tales Part 2, so many do not know about this secret celebration unless you read this book.
On page, 172, it reads;
“In these ways that bitter winter passed and the snow lay deeper than ever before on the Encircling Hills; yet in this time a spring of wondrous glory melted the skirts of those white mantles and the valley drank the waters and burst into flowers. So came and passed with revelry of children the fest of Nost-na-Lothion or the Birth of Flowers, and the hearts of Gondothlim, were uplifted for the good promise of the year.“
This feast is attributed to the powers of Vána, the Vala or Valier, of flowers and rebirth. She is sometimes called the “Ever Young”. She is the essence of eternal youth and innocence, all flowers and rebirth in Middle-Earth and represents the part of Eru Illuvatar’s mind that looks forwards to new growth and new adventures that may lie in wait. Also she represent the beauty of nature and within our own selves, when we are ourselves are good.
“She robed herself in flowers and her hair was golden in color. She had “the beauty of both heaven and earth upon her face and in all her works.”
She also represents animals as well, she is the younger sister of the Vala or Valier, YaVanna, who is the tall Lady of the Trees. Vána had influence with the flora and fauna of Middle-earth we discover in the Silmarillion by J.R.R Tolkien,
“all flowers spring as she passes and open if she glances upon them; and all birds sing at her coming.”
She was known to dance with Nessa another Valier and tend to the golden flowers of Laurelin, as she dwelt in gardens filled with golden flowers and often came to the forests of Oromë.
She is the pure essence of loveliness and while a bit young, she still showed some wisdom and knowledge of healing. She is known to have helped heal the Golden Tree called Laurenlin, with her tears after Morgoth/Melkor tried to destroy the light of the two trees.
Her tears were cried for the destruction of the two trees of Valinor, but they were so pure and came from her innocence that she helped the last remaining golden flower survive which became the light of the Sun, pulled across the sky by the Maia, Arien. In the days of the Two Trees, Arien was known to tend and water the golden flowers in the garden of Vána with the bright dews of the tree, Laurelin.
Vána helped create Laurelin, and so she has a very special place in her heart for this tree, though she loves all flora and fauna.
Then was the pit covered with rich earths that Palúrien devised, and Vána came who loveth life and sunlight and at whose song the flowers arise and open, and the murmur of her maidens round her was like to the merry noise of the folk that stir abroad for the first time on a bright morning. There sang she the song of spring upon the mound, and danced about it, and watered it with great streams of that golden light that Ulmo had brought from the spilled lakes–yet was Kulullin almost o’erflowing at the end.”~ Book of Lost Tales Part 1
There are many ways you can celebrate like the Elves, and share in this day of Rebirth to announce the flowers in full bloom. Here are some suggestions for you as well as a spell you can do, if you wish.
- Take a walk or a trip to your favorite flower garden. Remember to take your time to smell all the flowers you can and admire the beauty of nature, and see that beauty all around and within yourself.
- Tend to your garden if you have one. Spend some time with your own flowers.
- Enjoy tea time with flower inspired tea, I personally love my Jasmine Bloom tea, I have included a photo of for you. But any flower inspired tea will do!
- You may want to purchase some flowers for yourself and for others from your favorite flower shop. Share a little beauty or give yourself some.
- Go to a zoo or animal preserve park, walk your dogs, surround yourself with animals today and enjoy their presence around you.
- Wear flowers in your hair, dress up and go out or stay home and enjoy celebrating in spirit with other Elves today!
- Write in your journal or meditate on your youth, try to celebrate being a child again today or remember those memories fondly. Help heal and nuture your inner child in honor of Vana.
Vána art by Jankolas
Enjoy a full detailed video on her powers too, and what they represent:
Here is a spell for you to try: https://www.llewellyn.com/spell.php?spell_id=3715
May all of these ideas help you and inspire you to celebrate the beauty all around and within your own self too. I am off to enjoy the flowers, and my dogs. Enjoy the day!
In Love, light and wisdom,